Updating the Idaho Rare Plant List begins with the Rare Plant Working Groups. There are separate groups for northern and southern Idaho.
Led by Beth Corbin and Derek Antonelli, these two group meets throughout the year to research plants and exchange information in preparation for the Rare Plant Conference held every other year.
- research plant records
- do a preliminary run of the NatureServe rank calculator
- post information to the Rare Plant Working Group Forum (see below)
- discuss progress at a working group meeting and finalize the rank calculator
- decide on a recommendation for S rank for each plant
- decide whether to include on the INPS Rare Plant List
At the RPC, the working group presents a brief information summary and recommendation for each plant, for final decision by RPC participants. Soon after the RPC, the Rare Plant List is updated for all plants discussed at the RPC. On the List, bolded NatureServe ranks indicate plants that have been researched, run through the rank calculator, and finalized at a RPC.
The Rare Plant List spreadsheet also includes a sheet/tab that lists plants that have been considered or previously listed, and information on why they are not currently on the Rare Plant List.
The Rare Plant Working Groups coordinate through an on-line forum. This forum displays detailed information (species accounts, photos, rank calculator, etc.) for plants that have been or are in the process of being researched and ranked.
- Northern Idaho Rare Plant Working Group
Lead: Derek Antonelli
- Southern Idaho Rare Plant Working Group
Lead: Beth Corbin